SpinJoy Hula Hoop Fitness Challenge – Day 3
Day 3 of the 14 day SpinJoy Hula Hoop Fitness Challenge!
Day 3: #spinjoyhoopfitness challenge! Focus for today is to get on the floor Check out the link in my bio for the day 3 blog with benefits of floor hooping and some suggestions for incorporating this into your workout Can you guys think up some #sassy floor moves? #SpinJoy #SpinJoySquad #fitness #dailyworkout #bonkers #yogamat by @unit_nine
Today’s focus is on getting down low. Let’s take it to the floor.
Day 3 of the SpinJoy Hula Hoop Fitness Challenge and we don’t even need to stand up!
While I haven’t done much experimenting with adding floor work into my actual hula hoop dance practice, hula hooping while sitting or laying down IS an amazing workout.
Why would we want to do this?
So there are heaps of ways to hula hoop on the ground. First off, hooping ‘on body’ (waist, hips, chest or shoulders) while in a kneeling or seated position, really helps bring focus to isolated body movement. The end goal, when it comes to hula hoop technique, is to have complete isolation in the body part the hula hoop is spinning on. That means, for example, if we were to have the hoop spinning on our waist, it would be JUST our waist moving. Our chest, arms and hips would be as still as possible!
Developing isolation in the different areas of the body takes time and practice. If you try to hula hoop on your waist while kneeling, you’ll see immediately how much of your body your lower body you utilise to keep the hoop spinning. If you sit back on your heels/feet from this position, you’ve again increased the difficulty.
Other great things to experiment with from the floor are foot hooping laying on your back or to one side (do some hip and hamstring stretches first).
How can we start to incorporate floorwork into our hula hoop workout?
- Waist hooping while kneeling. See if you can start standing and slowly get to your knees without dropping the hoop. Bonus points if you can get back up again. Bonus bonus points if you can do this x 30
- Waist hooping sitting back on your heels/feel
- Chest hooping in the above mentioned positions. Advanced level, completely cross-legged on the floor
- Foot hooping – lasso pass onto one foot, swap feet. See if you can pass to the beat of the music!
- Shoulder breaks while seated. (This will help you learn to keep them nice and flat)
- Anything else you do while hula hooping, see if you can do it on the floor! Sky’s the limit.
Want to join us on the challenge?
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to send a Private Message on Instagram or shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org